Friday, April 30, 2010

Earth Awareness




Earth sculpture by Rosa Phoenix


One small blue-green planet in the vastness of space. 

One Earth, one sky, one water, shared by all of us. 

When one part of the body is poisoned, the whole body is sickened.

It is hard to comprehend the magnitude of the oil spill disaster in the Gulf of Mexico.  

In the news, I keep hearing about the costs of this disaster in terms of how much money is being lost, and how many lawsuits are being brought against BP. 

To me, discussing this in monetary terms doesn't have enough significance. 

We humans could never manufacture enough money to compensate for the loss of precious water, habitat, land, animals and plant life. 

What could be more valuable to us, than that which gives us life? 

These are not things that we can buy or create ourselves. 

No legal action can correct this. 

I would not trade clean air, water and soil for any amount of money, yet frequently that is the trade-off that is being made.

I've just learned that a second oil rig overturned in the Gulf of Mexico:


Current.com/green is a good source for environmental news.

I hope that all people will take this disaster to heart, and consider our relationship to all life on Earth.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree! There they are, talking about money when so much more has been lost! It's a crazy world my friend, priorities are set on such unimportant issues...so disappointing. Great post XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alina for your comment. You're right, this is a crazy world! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

    ReplyDelete